Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Wednesday, 7/13/2005
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- PodCast.net - searchable; directory of podcasts by topic. Interested in knowing more about "Podcasting" - also visit: "Podcasting for Profit" by Audible.com and "Purina" who uses it for pet owners.
- TopoZone.com - topographic mapping available on the Web. Other mapping type of resources to visit: "Terrafly", "Terraserver", "MapsOnUs", "MapQuest", "Google Maps" and "Yahoo Maps".
- WindowSecurity.com - a Windows security resource that includes articles, tutorials, and more.
- Chordie.com - a resource to help you look for guitar chords, lyrics and more.
- GahooYoogle.com - search the Web using Yahoo and Google at the same time - results are displayed with a split-screen.
- Medzilla.com - employment & career resource for the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, healthcare and science industries.
- ShopLocal.com - a search engine who focus is to help you find/locate sales, specials and deals at stores near you. Also try "AOL Local Search".
- PRLeap.com - a free press release distribution to search engines [beta version]. Another method for helping get exposure for your company's product [or Website] is "writing whitepapers" or use this "Tell-a-Friend-Wizard" [fee-based].
- MSusenet.com [Microsoft.Public Usenet] - a tech support resource to help you solve Microsoft/Windows computer related problems [here is there "Windows XP" forums with 1000's and 1000's of posts!] Also visit these resources to help you solve your computer problems: TechIMO
- AcronymFinder.com" - they claim to be the largest too ----> with 2,422,000+ definitions!
- PDAsupport.com - a resource to help you with your Personal Digital Assistant [PDA] such as Palm computer.
- AirportParkingReservations.com - a resource to help you reserve your airport parking - nationwide.
- InfantSEE.com - [ by the American Optometric Association - AOA ]; search for one of nearly 6,500 AOA-member optometrists that have volunteered to serve as InfantSEE optometrists for free infant eye testing [One in every 10 children is at risk from undiagnosed eye and vision problems].
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- (*)Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware ([XP] Beta) - here is the link to download Microsoft's new AntiSpyware software; it is well worth checking out.
- (*)2 books on Google - "Google Hacks" and the new "Google Pocket Guide". Also visit Peter's new "Book Page".
- (***)Here is the "E-mail Anti-SPAM Encoder by Hiveware" to use if you post your email address to Web pages.
- (***)Here is the way to "eliminate the Windows Logon Screen". Remember to be careful when editing any system files; make sure you review the numerous resources I've posted about the Windows Registry that can be found on my "Tips" and "Techlinks" pages. And if you need access to your Windows system [like you forgot your administrative password] and are having trouble - then the "EBCD Utility [Free]" may be able to help.
- (***)US-CERT warns against using Internet Explorer - issued 6-29-2004 - U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser. If you are concerned an alternative may be Mozilla's next generation Web browser called "FireFox" and visit the "InfoStar Virus Info Center" Web page and look for Web browsers.
- (***)List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 [SP 2] - access Microsoft's information on what they have tried to fix in Windows XP. Here's an article on the fact that a "SP 2 exploit has already been found".
- Where2Golf.com - offers golf course reviews and golf holiday and hotel guides from around the world. Also visit Golfable.com [directory of golf courses in U.S.], "GolfCourse" and "All-Golf-Links".
- IPAddressguide.com - a page that lists a variety of methods to search for or determine a computer's IP (Internet Protocol) address. Also visit "DNSSTUFF" and "IPv6tools" [the upcoming replacement for IPv4 (the protocol that is used to route packets on the Internet, and that assigns computers IP addresses such as 192.0.2.25)].
- GeographIQ.com - world atlas packed with geographic, economic, political, historical and cultural information. Also visit "Atlapedia" and the "World Travel Guide" [WTG].
- SpeedAnywhere.com - a resource to help you look for broadband Internet access; also check-out their "Speed Test" - to check-out the speed of your broadband Internet connection (DSL, cable, etc....). For Internet connection speed tests also visit "MSN Test", "Toast.net's Performance Test" or these "Other Resources".
- SearchSystems.net - a very large directory of links to free public record databases on the Internet [31,000+ Free Searchable Public Record Databases]. Also visit "PublicData", "MelissaData's Lookups", "PrivateEye", "ZoomInfo" and "PubList".
- SurfWax.com - another tool to search the "deep" or "invisible" Web. Also visit their "News Accumulator" resource to search through 50,000 topics from 4,000 news sources.
- SoftwarePatch.com - source for software patches for Windows 95/98/NT/Me/2000/XP Operating Systems (OS); also visit "PatchManagement.org", "bigfix.com", "BugNet".
- VR-Zone.com - source for computer hardware news and reviews. The following are also excellent resources to check for tech reviews prior to your next computer [digital] product purchase: "ZDNet" [reviews], "C/Net" [reviews], "WindowsMarketPlace", and "HardwareCentral". For a comprehensive list of resources like these - visit the "InfoStar.com Tips" page and search for or scroll down to "Computer Shopping".
- DriverZone.com - a resource for device drivers for your computer system. Useful to have when troubleshooting your system. Also visit: "DriverFiles.net", "DriverGuide" and "DriversHQ".
- BlogDigger.com - a search engine for Weblogs; also check out their "BlogDigger Local" [find blog and news content from a specified geographic location]. Other Blog search sites include: "LS Blogs" and "BlogDex".
- OpenTechSupport.net - free tech support Web resource for for Techies and beginners.
- AutoFan.com - automotive resource to research your next vehicle - news, reviews, and more. Also visit: "Kelley Blue Book", "Edmunds", "Car and Driver" [online magazine], "Motor Trend" [online magazine], "Automotive", "Cars", "AutoTrader", and "eBay Motors".
- BusinessOfBaseball.com - this resource provides research tools for those wishing to learn more about the business end of professional baseball.
- WisconsInHistory.org - [by the Wisconsin Historical Society] check out their calendar of events, linked resources, subscribe to their newsletter and more.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for nearly 18 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.