Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday, 2/7/2005
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- SpywareWarrior.com - a resource that focuses on helping you rid your system of spyware and adware. Includes a forum, blog and anti-spware testing results. Make sure you check out their "list of anti-spyware products".
- Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) - here is the link to download Microsoft's new AntiSpyware software; it is worth checking out.
- CastleCops.com - a Web resource that focuses on security issues including anti-virus software and more; also includes a forum.
- Domania.com - a resource for home buyers and sellers. Also check-out MSN's "House and Home", "ZipRealty", and "HouseValues".
- PortDetective.com - performs a remote port scan on your IP address (this is your online access point); also visit the "InfoStar Virus Info Center" and look for Port Scanners for other resources to scan your system.
- SportsBlogs.org - access point to all kinds of sports weblogs. Also check-out the "Most Valuable Network".
- MomsView.com - a coupon site worth checking out. Also visit "DealsDujour".
- CADRegister.com - source for millions of component drawings that is used by design professionals, engineers, and architects.
- eCoustics.com - resource for consumer electronics product reviews, buying guides, and more. Also check-out "HomeTheaterForum".
- WindowsMarketplace.com - a well-organized resource for software and hardware that works with Microsoft Windows.
- eBayLiveAuctions.com - experience online real-time auctions that conclude within seconds or a minute or two.
- CoolAntarctica.com - great resource about Antarctica - info about cruises, facts, history and more.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- (*)2 books on Google - "Google Hacks" and the new "Google Pocket Guide". Also visit Peter's new "Book Page".
- (***)Here is the "E-mail Anti-SPAM Encoder by Hiveware" to use if you post your email address to Web pages.
- (***)Here is the way to "eliminate the Windows Logon Screen". Remember to be careful when editing any system files; make sure you review the numerous resources I've posted about the Windows Registry that can be found on my "Tips" and "Techlinks" pages. And if you need access to your Windows system [like you forgot your administrative password] and are having trouble - then the "EBCD Utility [Free]" may be able to help.
- (***)US-CERT warns against using Internet Explorer - issued 6-29-2004 - U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser. If you are concerned an alternative may be Mozilla's next generation Web browser called "FireFox" and visit the "InfoStar Virus Info Center" Web page and look for Web browsers.
- (***)List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 [SP 2] - access Microsoft's information on what they have tried to fix in Windows XP. Here's an article on the fact that a "SP 2 exploit has already been found".
- TechSupportForum.com - 30,000+ members from around the world discuss and get help with computer related issues in 120,000+ online discussions.
- Gutenberg.org [Project Gutenberg] - oldest producer of free electronic books (eBooks or etexts) on the Internet. [13.000+ eBooks produced by hundreds of volunteers. Most of the Project Gutenberg eBooks are older literary works that are in the public domain in the United States. All may be freely downloaded and read, and redistributed for non-commercial use.]
- ClassicalArchives.com - the largest classical music site on the Web - 31,000+ full length classical music files by 2,000+ composers.
- 1000Files.com - a Shareware, Freeware resource to find useful programs.
- MacWindows.com a resource for help with Macintosh-Windows integrated solutions [like networking issues, using Virtual PC to run Windows on a Mac, etc....].
- PrivateIslandsOnline.com - considered the largest online directory of private islands for sale or for rent.
- WindowsNetworking.com - well organized resource that covers all versions of the Windows Operating Systems (OS) with regards to networking related topics.
- eMedicineHealth.com - well organized health resource that includes a medical dictionary, drug recalls & alerts, a body-mass calculator and more.
- Dulance.com - s search engine to find what they call "Everything and Anything" sold on the Web. Compare to "Froogle.com" [a service of google.com].
- DTV.gov - Digital Television resource produced by the Federal Communications Commision [FCC.gov] - includes a shoppers guide, a glossary and more.
- MSN Spaces - Microsoft joins the blogging craze; build your own personal Web log (blog) [for free] to share your photos, thoughts and experiences with whoever you choose. Open your Space to the public or just allow access to family and friends. Also check out "Blogger.com" by Google.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for nearly 18 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.