Peter Greene's Top 10 as announced on Tues., 12/03/2002
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- StreetPrices.com - search the Web for prices on a variety of electronic products including computers. Also visit "MySimon".
- LiveJournal.com - is a free service that allows you to create and customize your very own journal (Weblog) online. Also visit "Blogger", "UserLand Software", "uJournal.org", "LiveJournal.org", "DeadJournal", and "Diary-X".
- GlobalSecurity.org - lots of information and news covered by this resource on the topic of global security.
- PunOfTheDay.com - also visit "PunsGalore".
- SitePoint.com - an excellent resource for Web developers and those that are trying to develop an online business.
- EnvyNews.com - gadgets for computer hardware zealots.
- AirWise.com - an airport and air travel guide. Also visit the federal gov't's "Air Traffic Control System Command Center".
- Customize.org - customize your Windows desktop by downloading themes, wallpaper, icons and more. For Win XP users: "Start Bar Fader", and everyone else will probably like "VersionTracker".
- ibiblio.org - an online public library and digital archive [started at Univ. of NC at Chapel Hill, North Carolina]. Also visit "The Internet Public Library" [by the Univ. of Michigan] and especially "The WWW Virtual Library".
- TechwareLabs.com - computer hardware system resource that includes news, reviews, forums and more. Also visit "Accelenation", "HardwareZone", "Digital-Daily", "TweakNews.net", "TweakTown", "Hardware Extreme" and "Hexus.net".
- Wordtracker - a way to increase traffic to your Web site through enhanced search engine placement and ranking [fee based service]; also visit the "Google Monitor" - a free Web promotion software designed for search engine specialists and Webmasters.
- Experts-Exchange.com - Information Technology [IT] support resource with active forums [discussions] on a wide variety of topics. If you use Microsoft Office software then also visit "The Word Expert".
- MajorGeeks.com - have fun looking for software.
- MissingManuals.com - a wide variety of books on computers and technology related topics authored by David Pogue [and published by O'Reilly].
- Notlong.com - shorten your URL's; check out their "comparison table".
- HotLingo.com - add spell checking directly to Microsoft® Internet Explorer (5.0 or higher). Features a 75,000 word English dictionary plus a customizable user dictionary that can now contain up to 32,000 user-defined words. Why? Use it for spell-checking message-board posts, intranet Web-forms, and remote email [Mail2Web]. Also check out "WinWareLinks" for other applications.
- StartupJournal.com - a resource created for entrepreneurs by the "Wall Street Journal".
- NOD.org [National Organization on Disability] - searchable resource that features news, info and more on this very important topic.
- Matador Junk Email Software - [by MailFrontier] software that helps you manage junk email [SPAM].
- BritishPathe.com - one of the oldest media companies in the world; search and preview items from the entire 3500 hour British Pathe Film Archive which covers news, sport, social history and entertainment from 1896 to 1970 [from England].
- [The]WordSpy.com - devoted to recently coined words, existing words that have enjoyed a recent renaissance, and older words that are being used in new ways.
- adbrands.net - a resource that covers the worldwide advertising industry including advertisers and agencies.
- *** Below is from last month's choices ****
- BandWidthPlace.com - use their Internet connection speed test and compare your results to others in your area; also industry news, links and more.
- DumbWarnings.com - these may be the consequences of numerous pointless lawsuits; check out their Warning Index.
- EPDigest.com - Email Publishing Digest; information for email publishing professionals that is published via email once per week.
- EndOfFree.com - or is it the "Start of Fee" based Internet; covers payment systems, news, and links. Also visit "ePaynews".
- FRAC.org - the Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) is a leading national organization working to improve public policies to eradicate hunger and undernutrition in the U.S..
- Financenter.com - looking for online calculators; this is the resource that provides 200+ "interactive selling tools [calculators]" to more than 350 financial institutions.
- EducationIndex.com - a resource to help you find the best education-related sites [sorted by subject and lifestage] on the Web.
- OurDocuments.gov - [student and teacher competitions are also listed!] a resource that includes 100 milestone documents [Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc...], , compiled by the National Archives and Records Administration, and drawn primarily from its nationwide holdings. The documents chronicle United States history from 1776 to 1965. Also visit "National History Day".
- SprawlCity.com - [by U.S. Census Bureau] very detailed infoirmation about consumption growth and population growth, and their roles in urban sprawl that destroys natural habitat and farmland around cities in the U.S..
- DeepWeb.com - by Quigo.com; Also known as the 'Invisible Web', the 'Deep Web' is a vast repository of web pages, usually generated by database-driven Websites, that are available to web users yet hidden from traditional search engines. This "deep Web" has been estimated to be up to 550 times larger than the "surface Web". Use their "Deep Web" search site - "Flipper.com" and also visit "Intelliseek" and their resource "InvisibleWeb".
- AgentLand.com - a resource that covers software agents and bots. Learn about Internet/Web search tools, Spybots and more. Also visit "BotSpot".
- Wisconsin State Elections Board - here is their link to find out "where you vote in Wisconsin".
- LocalCatering.com - online marketplace where customers come in search of catering, restaurants, hotels, venues, event planners and other related merchants in the field.
- Sparkleware.com - download their SuperBot if you are interested in downloading entire Web sites to your computer.
- AbsoluteShield Internet Eraser - Web/Internet users can protect their privacy by completing cleaning up all the records left by Internet browsing and various computer activities.
- Seashells.org - a resource devoted to answering your questions about seashells, beachcombing, cleaning seashells, preserving sealife, identifying your seashells + more..
BONUS Link 1:Zfee - get paid for protecting your privacy and its free. Click here for the quick "sign-up form".
BONUS Link 2:Make Your Site Sell - free info to help your Web business, and "Make Your Knowledge Sell".
BONUS Link 3:FareAgent - for help finding the best airfares; also "Travelocity", Expedia's "Fare Compare" and "Priceline".
BONUS Link 4:Teachers.Net - teachers resources along with chat and more; see also "National Teachers Enhancement Network".
BONUS Link 5:Memolink - complete surveys, play trivia and get free stuff; see also "iWon", LuckySurf", "WebMillion" and "FreeLotto".
BONUS Link 6:The Kitchen Link - 10,000+ cooking related resources and more.
BONUS Link 7:LowerMyBills - find the best deals near you.
BONUS Link 8:National Crime Prevention Council - home of "McGruff" the Crime Dog® and Take a Bite Out of Crime®
BONUS Link 9:IPO Insider - excellent IPO resource information provided by ZDNet.
BONUS Link 10:PayPal - a way to pay for things online - popular at eBay. See also "eCount", "ProPay", and "PayMe".
BONUS Link 11:Med-Tech Center - latest news on the Medical technology front.
BONUS Link 12:FindSounds - search for sounds on the Web; also try "Whoopie"; or look for "fonts" at "MyFonts".
BONUS Link 13:FreeLotto.com - play for free.
BONUS Link 14:Xdrive - looking for extra storage to access via the Web; try these also "Driveway", "MyDocsOnline", "FreeDrive", "iDrive" and "Myspace".
Standard Extras to check-out:
Extra Link 1:GoDaddy - offers domain name registration and transfers for $8.95 per year or also try 000Domains - register or transfer a domain for $13.50 per year; also 123Domains - for as little as $13.99 per year for domain name registration. I've used all three and they work just fine!
Extra Link 2:ReadyHosting - a Web hosting service worth a serious look.
Extra Link 3:Pagoo Service - I use it to get my voice mail while I'm online! It really works great! "CallWave" is free but really doesn't compare. New is "BuzMe"
Extra Link 4:National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - and their "Alert" page with pictures.
Extra Link 5:THINKQUEST Information! (My neighbor's won 2x! Now he's a sophmore at Harvard!): - ThinkQuest and "ThinkQuest Junior" -
"an annual contest that challenges students, ages 10 to 19, to use the Internet as a collaborative, interactive teaching and learning tool". Get the contest details here. Get your kids involved!
Extra Link 6: FreeDSL - free high-speed Internet access; if you sign up please use my email address for being referred - "email@example.com" - Thanks!
Extra Link 7: FreeWebspace - interested in a Web site for no money? Check out this searchable index of 443 free Web space providers.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 15+ years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.