Peter Greene's Top 10 as announced on Tues., 9/03/2002
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- AnyCollege.net - search for a college that meets your program interests.
- USUS.org - this is the Web site for the "Usually Useful Internet Guide for Journalists"; a comprehensive Internet guide for journalists. It was created for those who want to have a better understanding of the Internet and its potential as a journalistic research tool.
- Byways.org - by the Federal Highway Administration; access to maps, weather info, contacts, and more about traveling the best and most scenic roadways in the U.S.
- AdShield.org - is a freeware banner ad blocker; it works by blocking the download and display of ad images, advertising pages and those additional annoying popup browser sessions. Visit the "InfoStar Techlinks" page for more solutions to this problem - scroll down to the "Privacy Protection" section where you will find lots more.
- Wordsmyth.net - an online searchable "dictionary-thesaurus; is an innovative and evolving language reference source that meshes the functions of a dictionary and a thesaurus with powerful and flexible search capabilities. Also visit "Onelook" - 4,850,329 words in 792 dictionaries indexed.
- JournalismNet.com - if you like keeping up on news and current events then you'll enjoy this news resource. Also visit "Newsahead" and "1stHeadlines".
- GardeningLaunchPad.com - access to more than 4700+ gardening links, plus tips and articles - organized but not searchable.
- HotPlugins.com - consider adding some of these features to your Web site. Also visit "Bravenet" and "BestAnimations".
- Retrosheet.org - goal of this resource is to computerize play-by-play accounts of as many pre-1984 major league games as possible.
- OneAcross.com - a resource for those that like crossword puzzles and other word play.
- InternetNews.com - a news resource for Information Technology users; keep up with the latest.
- AgencyFinder.com - online resource and service that matches clients with advertising, public relations and marketing firms (more than 95% of the agencies in the U.S. are listed here).
- MyBusinessMag.com - this publisher gives access to news and guides for small business owners.
- Sirius.com - access to 100+ commercial-free channels of audio.
- CruiseCritic.com - reviews, news, cruise bargains and more. For more travel and cruise links visit my "WEBHITZ® Travel Menus" and go to the "Cruises" category - scroll down the list and make your selection.
- *** Below is from last month's choices ****
- WindowsReinstall.com - covers how to install, upgrade , reinstall , repair , troubleshoot and fix Microsoft Windows (lots of versions covered!).
- Computing.Net - a good tech support resource for a variety of OS's (Operating Systems); also check out their "How To's". Also visit PChelper.com - another useful tech support resource; also visit their "Top Ten" discussions listing (it is always more then 10) and "Tek-Tips" and their "forums".
- VoodooFiles - game (patches, utilities, demos, etc...) site; plus software (shareware/freeware) and system tweaks, screensavers and more.
- Suite101.com - an online publishing community of writers, readers, and educators who have come together to share their passion. Visit their "Best-of-the-Web" listing of Web sites.
- Toxinz.com - an Internet database (60,000 listed chemical products, pharmaceuticals, plants and hazardous creatures) containing information regarding toxic compounds and the management of poisoned patients (based in Austrailia).
- RipOffReport.com - is a nationwide consumer reporting Web site to enter complaints about companies and individuals who are ripping people off . Also visit "ConsumerWebWatch" and "ComplaintCenter"
- Snopes.com - all about "Urban Legends"; useful Web resource(searchable) that has bits of netlore about what is (and was) currently getting dumped into people's (email) inboxes.
- FoodReference.com - 4,000+ pages on recipes, tips, trivia, history and more.
- GamesKidsPlay.net - resource that covers games kids play including rules for playground games, verses for jump-rope rhymes and more.
- Bugnosis.org - use this to find out who's tracking you on the Web (works with Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater for Windows). Also visit "Spychecker", "SpywareInfo" and the InfoStar "Techlinks Page" (go to link#249[approx.] - Privacy Protection - there are lots more to look at).
- WinSuperSite.com - by Paul Thurrott; dedicated to providing information you need to evaluate Microsoft's Windows operating system technologies. Also visit "WindowsItLibrary".
- PCBuyersGuide.com - access to computer hardware/software industry news and more.
- TheTechnoZone.com - computer industry news, "forums", buyer's guides and more. Also visit TechSupportForums - resource that has forums on a wide variety of Operating Systems.
- TweakXP.com - a resource that is dedicated to improving and customizing Microsoft® Windows® XP.
- (Microsoft) WindowsXPUser - another independent guide to using and supporting WIndows XP.
- CyberTechHelp - tech support resource; check-out their "tutorials" for using/enhancing your system.
- PCHelpLive - resource created site certified technicians who have worked for or are currently employed by Fortune 100 computer companies in the field of technical support; check-out their "forums".
- ArrearsCalculator.com - calculates how much child support either parent owes based on orders, payments, adjustments, and interest charges.
- SalaryExpert.com - free salary data with cost of living and benefits info.
- ExtremeTech.com - technology news and info resource.
- MCPmag.com - the online version of Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine.
BONUS Link 1:Zfee - get paid for protecting your privacy and its free. Click here for the quick "sign-up form".
BONUS Link 2:Make Your Site Sell - free info to help your Web business, and "Make Your Knowledge Sell".
BONUS Link 3:FareAgent - for help finding the best airfares; also "Travelocity", Expedia's "Fare Compare" and "Priceline".
BONUS Link 4:Teachers.Net - teachers resources along with chat and more; see also "National Teachers Enhancement Network".
BONUS Link 5:Memolink - complete surveys, play trivia and get free stuff; see also "iWon", LuckySurf", "WebMillion" and "FreeLotto".
BONUS Link 6:The Kitchen Link - 10,000+ cooking related resources and more.
BONUS Link 7:LowerMyBills - find the best deals near you.
BONUS Link 8:National Crime Prevention Council - home of "McGruff" the Crime Dog® and Take a Bite Out of Crime®
BONUS Link 9:IPO Insider - excellent IPO resource information provided by ZDNet.
BONUS Link 10:PayPal - a way to pay for things online - popular at eBay. See also "eCount", "ProPay", and "PayMe".
BONUS Link 11:Med-Tech Center - latest news on the Medical technology front.
BONUS Link 12:FindSounds - search for sounds on the Web; also try "Whoopie"; or look for "fonts" at "MyFonts".
BONUS Link 13:FreeLotto.com - play for free.
BONUS Link 14:Xdrive - looking for extra storage to access via the Web; try these also "Driveway", "MyDocsOnline", "FreeDrive", "iDrive" and "Myspace".
Standard Extras to check-out:
Extra Link 1:GoDaddy - offers domain name registration and transfers for $8.95 per year or also try 000Domains - register or transfer a domain for $13.50 per year; also 123Domains - for as little as $13.99 per year for domain name registration. I've used all three and they work just fine!
Extra Link 2:ReadyHosting - a Web hosting service worth a serious look.
Extra Link 3:Pagoo Service - I use it to get my voice mail while I'm online! It really works great! "CallWave" is free but really doesn't compare. New is "BuzMe"
Extra Link 4:National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - and their "Alert" page with pictures.
Extra Link 5:THINKQUEST Information! (My neighbor's won 2x! Now he's a sophmore at Harvard!): - ThinkQuest and "ThinkQuest Junior" -
"an annual contest that challenges students, ages 10 to 19, to use the Internet as a collaborative, interactive teaching and learning tool". Get the contest details here. Get your kids involved!
Extra Link 6: FreeDSL - free high-speed Internet access; if you sign up please use my email address for being referred - "email@example.com" - Thanks!
Extra Link 7: FreeWebspace - interested in a Web site for no money? Check out this searchable index of 443 free Web space providers.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 15+ years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.