Peter Greene's Top 10 as announced on Mon., 4/01/2002
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- Domania.com - if you are buying or selling a home this is a great place to start. Here is another resource to help you with moving - "MonsterMoving" and info on all "50 States".
- Insectclopedia.com - info on insects from A to Z; includes information on control of insect pests.
- eeggs.com - access 5000+ unique and amusing tidbits that creators typically put in their software, movies, music, TV shows and commercials, and more in the Easter Egg Archive . Also check out "Slipups".
- ClicheSite.com - has a huge list of clichés complete with definitions and explanations.
- BuildingTeam.com - their "codes" database provides you with detailed information on building codes for all 50 states, major cities, and some counties. Requires you to register in order to use it.
- SoloGig.com - dedicated to marketing experienced freelancers, consultants and independent professionals to a nationwide audience of top employers. Also visit "eLance".
- EyeTricks.com - a resource devoted to optical illusions, 3D stereograms, online games and more.
- LivingInternet.com - if you want to learn more about the Internet and the Web, email and other online components then this is a good starting point. And visit this site called "Phrenicea" for perhaps a look at the future.
- GnutellaNews.com - offers the latest news and information about Gnutella and other file-sharing networks.
- DisplayCalibration.com - assistance to help you get the most out of your computer monitor.
- HistoryKill.com - top rated privacy and security tool for using the Internet. Free download is available. I've had great success with it.
- DNAFTB.org - DNA from the Beginning. A multimedia explaination on the basics of DNA, genes and heredity.
- YourGenesYourHealth.org - a multimedia guide to genetic disorders.
- Menopause.org - presented by the North American Menopause Society. It is devoted to promoting women's health during midlife and beyond through an understanding of menopause.
- MesoInfo.com - short for "Mesothelioma Information"; is a resource for those who suffer from the lung cancer mesothelioma, also known as asbestos cancer.
- QuickTrainingTips - a useful resource if you need to teach others about computers.
- Field-Trips.org - a site of virtual field trips on nature topics including rainforests, endangered species, volcanoes and more.
- MyCanadianNews.com - a comprehensive news site about Canada.
- AOL Instant Messenger - this is the official home page for this very popular online communication application.
- SciToys - make toys at home with common household materials that demonstrate fascinating scientific principles. See also "SciFun.org".
- EduPalm.org - a resource for users of Palm based handhelds.
- SchrockGuide - a resource created by Kathy Schrock and hosted by "DiscoverySchool" for teachers.
- *** Below is from last month's choices ****
- TopDownloads.net - freeware, shareware software resource to check out; also visit "FileForum" and "TiklSoft".
- Insurance Information Institute - great resource about the insurance industry; "glossary of insurance terms", and more.
- Stay Safe Online (.info) - the information needed to secure your home or small business computer. You'll find tips on how to safeguard your system, a self-guided cyber security test, educational materials, and more. Also visit "StaySafeOnline.com", "CyberCitizen", "CyberSmart", "Privacy Alliance", and "NetSmartz".
- Countries - find information on countries from "A to Z"; see also "CountryWatch".
- FontSearchEngine - search for fonts, font utilities and more.
- Buildaresume - put your resume online; maintain and access it for free.
- FareChase - searches all the major travel Web sites (for air, hotel, and auto) to find you the best deals available throughout the internet. See also "Qixo", "SideStep", "Hotwire", "Priceline", "Savvio", "Travelocity", "Expedia", and "Orbitz".
- Screenit.com - entertainment reviews for parents. Also visit "The Movie Mom" (MovieMom.com), "kids-in-mind", "FamilyStyle" Film Guide, "FilmValues", "GradingTheMovies" and "The Yahoo! Entertainment Index".
- PracticallyNetworked.com - "how-to" information for setting up Internet sharing. Also visit "HomeNetHelp.com", "CableModemInfo", "CableModemHelp", "SpeedGuide.net", and "WinProxy" (software).
- DiskOnKey - see also article on "A Solution to the Demise of the Floppy Drive" - covers the latest info on "keychain" memory devices; and "USBDrive", and "ThumbDrive".
- CableModemHelp and CableModemInfo - are 2 resources to assist cable modem users on modem sharing, security, speed and more.
- DShield - provides a platform for users of firewalls to share intrusion information. DShield is a free and open service.
- FiringSquad - hardware and games resource for news and reviews.
- Ad-aware - software to help with the removal and prevention of Spyware programs from your computer system; works on Win9x/ME/NT40,2000 and Windows XP operating systems. Here's a "backup link for Ad-aware." Another program to try is OnTrack's "Internet Cleanup Software".
- CopyMyDVD - software that allows you to burn your own DVD Videos.
- Vitalnews.com - subscribe to Excel or Word tip Internet newsletters.
- DBXtract - email message extraction "utility" program to assist you with email data/message recovery (for Outlook Express 5 and 6).
- DocGuide.com - medical resource also known as "Docter's Guide". News, WebCasts, and case studies.
- Microsoft and Your Privacy - links to many of their individual privacy statements are provided & more.
- Microsoft Software Piracy - information on piracy, how it affects you, and how to protect yourself, your business and your ideas.
- Microsoft Licensing - resource to help answer questions about "licensing" policies for their products.
BONUS Link 1:Zfee - get paid for protecting your privacy and its free. Click here for the quick "sign-up form".
BONUS Link 2:Make Your Site Sell - free info to help your Web business, and "Make Your Knowledge Sell".
BONUS Link 3:FareAgent - for help finding the best airfares; also "Travelocity", Expedia's "Fare Compare" and "Priceline".
BONUS Link 4:Teachers.Net - teachers resources along with chat and more; see also "National Teachers Enhancement Network".
BONUS Link 5:Memolink - complete surveys, play trivia and get free stuff; see also "iWon", LuckySurf", "WebMillion" and "FreeLotto".
BONUS Link 6:The Kitchen Link - 10,000+ cooking related resources and more.
BONUS Link 7:LowerMyBills - find the best deals near you.
BONUS Link 8:National Crime Prevention Council - home of "McGruff" the Crime Dog® and Take a Bite Out of Crime®
BONUS Link 9:IPO Insider - excellent IPO resource information provided by ZDNet.
BONUS Link 10:PayPal - a way to pay for things online - popular at eBay. See also "eCount", "ProPay", and "PayMe".
BONUS Link 11:Med-Tech Center - latest news on the Medical technology front.
BONUS Link 12:FindSounds - search for sounds on the Web; also try "Whoopie"; or look for "fonts" at "MyFonts".
BONUS Link 13:FreeLotto.com - play for free.
BONUS Link 14:Xdrive - looking for extra storage to access via the Web; try these also "Driveway", "MyDocsOnline", "FreeDrive", "iDrive" and "Myspace".
Standard Extras to check-out:
Extra Link 1:GoDaddy - offers domain name registration and transfers for $8.95 per year or also try 000Domains - register or transfer a domain for $13.50 per year; also 123Domains - for as little as $13.99 per year for domain name registration. I've used all three and they work just fine!
Extra Link 2:ReadyHosting - a Web hosting service worth a serious look.
Extra Link 3:Pagoo Service - I use it to get my voice mail while I'm online! It really works great! "CallWave" is free but really doesn't compare. New is "BuzMe"
Extra Link 4:National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - and their "Alert" page with pictures.
Extra Link 5:THINKQUEST Information! (My neighbor's won 2x! Now he's a sophmore at Harvard!): - ThinkQuest and "ThinkQuest Junior" -
"an annual contest that challenges students, ages 10 to 19, to use the Internet as a collaborative, interactive teaching and learning tool". Get the contest details here. Get your kids involved!
Extra Link 6: FreeDSL - free high-speed Internet access; if you sign up please use my email address for being referred - "firstname.lastname@example.org" - Thanks!
Extra Link 7: FreeWebspace - interested in a Web site for no money? Check out this searchable index of 443 free Web space providers.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 15+ years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.