Peter Greene's Top 10 as announced on Mon., 5/07/2001
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages.
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
(*)DotCom's that are now gone: Pets.com, Furniture.com, MotherNature.com, Garden.com, ToysMart.com, RedRocket.com .... and others
- mcgavel - a searchable resource for the meeting and travel industry. Also visit "50States"and "Digital-Neighbors" for lots of excellent reference info!
- Agentland - a resource dedicated to intelligent agents that make finding information on the Web easier (ie. shopping, news and medical searches, and more). Also visit "BotSpot".
- FreeAnswers - helps you solve computer-related problems by asking questions in plain, everyday language (limited to specific vendors).
- SecurityWatch - excellent resource to keep up on security issues, hacks, viruses and more
- GasPriceWatch - as of 5/7/01 there were "636,070 prices updated weekly"; useful if you are planning a trip.
- Mail2Web - check your email from any computer, anywhere in the world (no need to register). The "Internet Email List" will also be a resource you want to know.
- Quia - (pronounced key-uh; "Quintessential Instructional Archive"). 500,000 activites for learning; helps teachers teach better by giving them the tools to create, customize, and share learning activities. Quia helps students learn more by bringing the resources of hundreds of thousands of educators together in one place.
- SpyChecker - Not sure if the free software you are about to download is in fact a so called Spyware, or adware or otherwise advertising enhanced product that installs additional third party components on your system? Do a search and know!
- OmniChoice - helps businesses sort through the choices for Internet Service Providers, Telecommunications Services (including wireless and long distance) and more.
- Public Agenda - a resource that covers public opinion and policy analysis.
- GOTO Software - some interesting and useful products to check out.
- Obsolete Computer Museum - is your computer on the list? Or re-visit your past!
- The Deaf Resource Library - reference material and links intended to educate and inform people about Deaf cultures in Japan and the U.S.
- Web Cams of the World - organized access to Web cams around the world.
- Wisconsin.gov - the new name and link for Wisconsin's Web portal to state information resources.
- PHP-Nuke.org - if you want something that is free and can change your Web site then you should visit this one!
- Auctiva - a ecommerce solution for individuals or small businesses.
- *** Below is from last month's choices ****
- WebWasher - eliminate unwanted Web ads [their Test Page], pop-up browser windows + more (for Windows or Apple users[Epinions Review]); [Analyze Your Privacy!]; AdsOff - Internet advertisement filter program (download required; 30-day trial, requires re-boot to complete installation) to eliminate annoying pop-up browser windows and more (for Windows users)[Epinions Review]; also visit "InternetWatcher", "Adextinguisher", Webroot's "Window Washer and MacWasher Programs" and "The Proxomitron". Other Web resources to know include: "Privacy Foundation", "Junkbusters", "SafeWeb", "IDzap", "Internet Fraud Council", "Internet Scambusters", "National Fraud Information Center", "WinWhatWhere Investigator", "Health Privacy", "Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)", "MerchantFraudSquad", "Medical Information Bureau", "TRUSTe", "BBBOnline", "Mail Abuse Prevention System", "Privacy.Net" and their "Privacy Analysis", and the "Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC)". [Added 5/7/01] - check out "SpyChecker", "SpamRecycle", and "ZeroKnowledge".
- Atomica - (formerly GuruNet) - a provider of knowledge retrieval and delivery solutions; access to their "download and solutions" page.
- FedBuzz - access to federally government oriented news, content and databases. Also visit "GovSpot", "USGovSearch", "GovBot", "FCIC National Contact Center", AOL's "Government Guide", and "FirstGov".
- Web-Agri - an agricultural search engine. Try searching on Foot-and-Mouth Disease.
- GoToMyPC - remotely access and control your PC over the Internet.
- Report Gallery - an up-to-date listing of 2,200+ annual reports and related reports online; includes most of the fortune 500.
- Intertainer - broadcast entertainment network; access 200+ hours a week of full-motion music videos, short films, TV programs + more.
- AuctionWatch - enjoy this if you like online auctions [such as "eBay"]; use their "Power Search" to locate items, the "Auction Manager" to track bids and for payments, plus "create your own storefront" to sell your items in an auction.
- FilmStew - a well organized resource covering the film and television industry.
- Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program - a great resource to access a high level of support for Microsoft products from dedicated individuals known as a Microsoft "MVP".
- Brinkster - for Web developers; free 30MB of Web space with membership. Also visit "BigNoseBird", "HTML Publishing", "JimTools".
- Good Keywords - software (download required); is for finding the common words people usually search for.
- MessageMates - free, downloadable e-cards, cartoons and e-toys; have fun.
- Subjex - a search engine portal and artificial intelligence system that uses natural frame dialogue with users to help them refine their Internet searches.
- PeopleBonus - broadcast entertainment network; access 200+ hours a week of full-motion music videos, short films, TV programs + more.
- Freeware and Stuff - well organized freeware/shareware resource. Visit my "WEBHITZ® Computer Menu" for more freeware sites
- Televisioncommercials - access to thousands of TV commercials and more [requires media player to view]. Also visit "AdCritic".
- Joke of the Hour - find something to laugh at here.
- PseudoDictionary - get help with definitions of slang, Webspeak and colloquialisms.
- BannerAdMagic - frustrated about Web banner advertising; check this out.
BONUS Link 1:Zfee - get paid for protecting your privacy and its free. Click here for the quick "sign-up form".
BONUS Link 2:Make Your Site Sell - free info to help your Web business, and "Make Your Knowledge Sell".
BONUS Link 3:FareAgent - for help finding the best airfares; also "Travelocity", Expedia's "Fare Compare" and "Priceline".
BONUS Link 4:Teachers.Net - teachers resources along with chat and more; see also "National Teachers Enhancement Network".
BONUS Link 5:Memolink - complete surveys, play trivia and get free stuff; see also "iWon", LuckySurf", "WebMillion" and "FreeLotto".
BONUS Link 6:The Kitchen Link - 10,000+ cooking related resources and more.
BONUS Link 7:LowerMyBills - find the best deals near you.
BONUS Link 8:National Crime Prevention Council - home of "McGruff" the Crime Dog® and Take a Bite Out of Crime®
BONUS Link 9:IPO Insider - excellent IPO resource information provided by ZDNet.
BONUS Link 10:PayPal - a way to pay for things online - popular at eBay. See also "eCount", "ProPay", and "PayMe".
BONUS Link 11:Med-Tech Center - latest news on the Medical technology front.
BONUS Link 12:FindSounds - search for sounds on the Web; also try "Whoopie"; or look for "fonts" at "MyFonts".
BONUS Link 13:FreeLotto.com - play for free.
BONUS Link 14:Xdrive - looking for extra storage to access via the Web; try these also "Driveway", "MyDocsOnline", "FreeDrive", "iDrive" and "Myspace".
Standard Extras to check-out:
Extra Link 1:000Domains - register or transfer a domain for $13.50 per year; also 123Domains - for as little as $13.99 per year for domain name registration. I've used both and they work just fine.
Extra Link 2:ReadyHosting - a Web hosting service worth a serious look.
Extra Link 3:Pagoo Service - I use it to get my voice mail while I'm online! It really works great! "CallWave" is free but really doesn't compare. New is "BuzMe"
Extra Link 4:National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - and their "Alert" page with pictures.
Extra Link 5:THINKQUEST Information! (My neighbor's won 2x! Now he's a sophmore at Harvard!): - ThinkQuest and "ThinkQuest Junior" -
"an annual contest that challenges students, ages 10 to 19, to use the Internet as a collaborative, interactive teaching and learning tool". Get the contest details here. Get your kids involved!
Extra Link 6: FreeDSL - free high-speed Internet access; if you sign up please use my email address for being referred - "email@example.com" - Thanks!
Extra Link 7: FreeWebspace - interested in a Web site for no money? Check out this searchable index of 443 free Web space providers.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 15+ years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.