Peter Greene's Top 10 as announced on Mon., 4/02/2001
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages.
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
(*)DotCom's that are now gone: Pets.com, Furniture.com, MotherNature.com, Garden.com, ToysMart.com, RedRocket.com .... and others
- WebWasher - eliminate unwanted Web ads [their Test Page], pop-up browser windows + more (for Windows or Apple users[Epinions Review]); [Analyze Your Privacy!]; AdsOff - Internet advertisement filter program (download required; 30-day trial, requires re-boot to complete installation) to eliminate annoying pop-up browser windows and more (for Windows users)[Epinions Review]; also visit "InternetWatcher", "Adextinguisher", Webroot's "Window Washer and MacWasher Programs" and "The Proxomitron". Other Web resources to know include: "Privacy Foundation", "Junkbusters", "SafeWeb", "IDzap", "Internet Fraud Council", "Internet Scambusters", "National Fraud Information Center", "WinWhatWhere Investigator", "Health Privacy", "Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)", "MerchantFraudSquad", "Medical Information Bureau", "TRUSTe", "BBBOnline", "Mail Abuse Prevention System", "Privacy.Net" and their "Privacy Analysis", and the "Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC)".
- Atomica - (formerly GuruNet) - a provider of knowledge retrieval and delivery solutions; access to their "download and solutions" page.
- FedBuzz - access to federally government oriented news, content and databases. Also visit "GovSpot", "USGovSearch", "GovBot", "FCIC National Contact Center", AOL's "Government Guide", and "FirstGov".
- Web-Agri - an agricultural search engine. Try searching on Foot-and-Mouth Disease.
- GoToMyPC - remotely access and control your PC over the Internet.
- Report Gallery - an up-to-date listing of 2,200+ annual reports and related reports online; includes most of the fortune 500.
- Intertainer - broadcast entertainment network; access 200+ hours a week of full-motion music videos, short films, TV programs + more.
- AuctionWatch - enjoy this if you like online auctions [such as "eBay"]; use their "Power Search" to locate items, the "Auction Manager" to track bids and for payments, plus "create your own storefront" to sell your items in an auction.
- FilmStew - a well organized resource covering the film and television industry.
- Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program - a great resource to access a high level of support for Microsoft products from dedicated individuals known as a Microsoft "MVP".
- Brinkster - for Web developers; free 30MB of Web space with membership. Also visit "BigNoseBird", "HTML Publishing", "JimTools".
- Good Keywords - software (download required); is for finding the common words people usually search for.
- MessageMates - free, downloadable e-cards, cartoons and e-toys; have fun.
- Subjex - a search engine portal and artificial intelligence system that uses natural frame dialogue with users to help them refine their Internet searches.
- PeopleBonus - broadcast entertainment network; access 200+ hours a week of full-motion music videos, short films, TV programs + more.
- Freeware and Stuff - well organized freeware/shareware resource. Visit my "WEBHITZ® Computer Menu" for more freeware sites
- Televisioncommercials - access to thousands of TV commercials and more [requires media player to view]. Also visit "AdCritic".
- Joke of the Hour - find something to laugh at here.
- PseudoDictionary - get help with definitions of slang, Webspeak and colloquialisms.
- BannerAdMagic - frustrated about Web banner advertising; check this out.
- *** Below is from last month's choices ****
- Max Manager - a free Web application/service that organizes your receipts and tracks your orders from the Web sites you shop at.
- BizBash - a resource for event and meeting planners; look for ideas, resources and news for special event planning and business entertaining.
- EdGate - education resource for K-12 for everone; access the "Learning Network" and "SchoolNotes". Make sure you also visit "The Gateway" and "BigChalk".
- HeadlineSpot - a news resource or portal. Lots to read about! Also visit "1stHeadlineNews", "Yahoo News" and "The All-Star Newspaper".
- Oingo - another Web search engine to check out. Also visit "Beaucoup" and "Vivisimo" and try their "new beta" as well. Make sure you know about "Copernic" (requires downloading software).
- DevX - a great searchable resource for programmers or Web developers.
- LimeWire - software which enables individuals to search for and share computer files with anyone on the internet. Others to check out are: "iMesh", "Groove Networks", "CuteMX" was recently taken down by "GlobalScape", "BearShare", "Toadnode", "Aimster", "FileMaze", "MojoNation". Learn more about the "next generation Internet" with these other "Peer-to-Peer Internet" resources: read an "article about P2P", "Gnutella", "Freenet Project", "Centrata" (neat Flash presentation), "distributed.net", "Distributed Science" (and their "ProcessTree Network"), "SETI@home" project, "gonesilent", "Pointera" (and their "Spinfrenzy"), "United Devices", "Popular Power". The previous listed resources allow you to go way beyond what "Napster" does.
- MerchantFraudSquad - a resource for fighting Internet fraud. Visit also "Internet Scambusters" and "Fraud.org".
- MedlinePlus - from the National Library of Medicine; also visit "Healthfinder", "HealthGate", "WebMedLit", "The Med Engine", and "Reuters Health".
- Freeware Files - well organized and searchable directory of free software and trail versions of software
- Lance Armstrong - supplement to his book "It's Not About the Bike" - which I thought was excellent.
- West Point Bicentennial Bridge Contest - download the "free software" and have fun designing bridges. The contest is for K-12 studenst - read the "rules".
BONUS Link 1:Zfee - get paid for protecting your privacy and its free. Click here for the quick "sign-up form".
BONUS Link 2:Make Your Site Sell - free info to help your Web business, and "Make Your Knowledge Sell".
BONUS Link 3:FareAgent - for help finding the best airfares; also "Travelocity", Expedia's "Fare Compare" and "Priceline".
BONUS Link 4:Teachers.Net - teachers resources along with chat and more; see also "National Teachers Enhancement Network".
BONUS Link 5:Memolink - complete surveys, play trivia and get free stuff; see also "iWon", LuckySurf", "WebMillion" and "FreeLotto".
BONUS Link 6:The Kitchen Link - 10,000+ cooking related resources and more.
BONUS Link 7:LowerMyBills - find the best deals near you.
BONUS Link 8:National Crime Prevention Council - home of "McGruff" the Crime Dog® and Take a Bite Out of Crime®
BONUS Link 9:IPO Insider - excellent IPO resource information provided by ZDNet.
BONUS Link 10:PayPal - a way to pay for things online - popular at eBay. See also "eCount", "ProPay", and "PayMe".
BONUS Link 11:Med-Tech Center - latest news on the Medical technology front.
BONUS Link 12:FindSounds - search for sounds on the Web; also try "Whoopie"; or look for "fonts" at "MyFonts".
BONUS Link 13:FreeLotto.com - play for free.
BONUS Link 14:Xdrive - looking for extra storage to access via the Web; try these also "Driveway", "MyDocsOnline", "FreeDrive", "iDrive" and "Myspace".
Standard Extras to check-out:
Extra Link 1:000Domains - register or transfer a domain for $13.50 per year; also 123Domains - for as little as $13.99 per year for domain name registration. I've used both and they work just fine.
Extra Link 2:ReadyHosting - a Web hosting service worth a serious look.
Extra Link 3:Pagoo Service - I use it to get my voice mail while I'm online! It really works great! "CallWave" is free but really doesn't compare. New is "BuzMe"
Extra Link 4:National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - and their "Alert" page with pictures.
Extra Link 5:THINKQUEST Information! (My neighbor's won 2x! Now he's a sophmore at Harvard!): - ThinkQuest and "ThinkQuest Junior" -
"an annual contest that challenges students, ages 10 to 19, to use the Internet as a collaborative, interactive teaching and learning tool". Get the contest details here. Get your kids involved!
Extra Link 6: FreeDSL - free high-speed Internet access; if you sign up please use my email address for being referred - "email@example.com" - Thanks!
Extra Link 7: FreeWebspace - interested in a Web site for no money? Check out this searchable index of 443 free Web space providers.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 15+ years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.