Peter Greene's Top 10 as announced on Tues., 1/02/2001
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages.
Use of the products and services offered is at your own risk. E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
(*)DotCom's that are now gone: Pets.com, Furniture.com, MotherNature.com, Garden.com, ToysMart.com, RedRocket.com .... and others
- Digimarc - patented digital watermarking technology, which provides persistent digital identity for all media content --> including audio, video and images, that can enable copyright protection and tracking.
- HomeSafe - home safety resources; also visit "ImproveNet", "AllAboutHome", and "AskTheBuilder".
- E*Prairie - Midwest technology news resource.
- IT Security - the "encyclopedia of computer security". Includes a glossary, news, products, warnings, linked resources and more.
- TechTarget - goal is to save IT professionals the time and frustration in their search for targeted information specific to their industry focus like "Search Wireless" as one example.
- Idea Exchange - is a protected place for buying and selling Ideas.
- DoWap.ws - home of Wireless Willy; an Internet service to create a wireless version of your Web site.
- FitnessLink - a resource to help you stay physically fit. Also visit: "Fitness Online", "FitnessWorld", "Fitness Zone", and "Swim Info".
- IfYouSki (used to be Complete-Skier) - for those who like to winter ski. Also visit: "Ski Resorts", "Skiing", "Snow-Forecast", "Snow-Guide", and "WeatherPlanner".
- MarathonGuide - marathon resource for local, national and international events and more.
- Saba Software - an e-learning solution provider. Others to consider are: Epic Learning, Docent, SkillSoft, Click2Learn, Learn2, HungryMinds University, KnowledgeNet, SmartForce, Thinq, and "DigitalThink".
- Diskeeper - software [30-day trial available], a disk defragmenter instead of Windows own version. Also visit "Raxco", "oo-software", "Ontrack", and Speed-Disk by "Symantec".
- SurfSecret and also check out "SpaceProxy" - for surfing with privacy.
- Skiddily - a portal that pays you to search the Web.
- National Association of Investors Corporation - their community teaches the discipline of investing regularly in quality growth stocks.
- Gogaga - listen to Internet radio but why not "get paid" for it - "Soundom, "CashRadio" and RadioFreeCash"; also visit "Spinner", "CyberRadio2000", "WebRadio", "Live365" and "HiWire" for your listening pleasure. (iCast closed).
- UniquePager - get paid for giving away free pagers!
- Windows ME - this is Microsoft's Web site about their "Millennium Edition" operating system. "A Brian Livingston article" - on how to deal with the new Windows ME upgrade. Here's "Brian Web site".
- Free-Ed and "FreeSkills" - for free, full, online training courses.
- Vivisimo - a new search engine (in beta testing) to check out; pretty neat. Also try their "new beta" as well. Make sure you know about "Copernic".
- SideStep - [New 11/26/2000 - download required] is another "new" way to check out travel options. Also make sure you know about Hotwire - discounted airline tickets [savings up to 40%] direct from the airlines. They've decided to take on "Priceline". Check out "Savvio" and keep your eye on "Orbitz".
- Digital-Neighbors - designed to help travelers, new arrivals and life-long residents quickly and easily find useful information about U.S. Communities. Also check out "Quick Facts" and travelers will like to know about "Tourism Offices".
- Flash Blaster is a Macromedia Flash designer animation tool Web service by "ScreamDesign" (lots here inclusing a useful forum.
BONUS Link 1:Zfee - get paid for protecting your privacy and its free. Click here for the quick "sign-up form".
BONUS Link 2:Make Your Site Sell - free info to help your Web business, and "Make Your Knowledge Sell".
BONUS Link 3:FareAgent - for help finding the best airfares; also "Travelocity", Expedia's "Fare Compare" and "Priceline".
BONUS Link 4:Teachers.Net - teachers resources along with chat and more; see also "National Teachers Enhancement Network".
BONUS Link 5:Memolink - complete surveys, play trivia and get free stuff; see also "iWon", LuckySurf", "WebMillion" and "FreeLotto".
BONUS Link 6:The Kitchen Link - 10,000+ cooking related resources and more.
BONUS Link 7:LowerMyBills - find the best deals near you.
BONUS Link 8:National Crime Prevention Council - home of "McGruff" the Crime Dog® and Take a Bite Out of Crime®
BONUS Link 9:IPO Insider - excellent IPO resource information provided by ZDNet.
BONUS Link 10:PayPal - a way to pay for things online - popular at eBay. See also "eCount", "ProPay", and "PayMe".
BONUS Link 11:Med-Tech Center - latest news on the Medical technology front.
BONUS Link 12:FindSounds - search for sounds on the Web; also try "Whoopie"; or look for "fonts" at "MyFonts".
BONUS Link 13:FreeLotto.com - play for free.
BONUS Link 14:Xdrive - looking for extra storage to access via the Web; try these also "Driveway", "MyDocsOnline", "FreeDrive", "iDrive" and "Myspace".
Standard Extras to check-out:
Extra Link 1:000Domains - register or transfer a domain for $13.50 per year; also 123Domains - for as little as $13.99 per year for domain name registration. I've used both and they work just fine.
Extra Link 2:ReadyHosting - a Web hosting service worth a serious look.
Extra Link 3:Pagoo Service - I use it to get my voice mail while I'm online! It really works great! "CallWave" is free but really doesn't compare. New is "BuzMe"
Extra Link 4:National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - and their "Alert" page with pictures.
Extra Link 5:THINKQUEST Information! (My neighbor's won 2x! Now he's a sophmore at Harvard!): - ThinkQuest and "ThinkQuest Junior" -
"an annual contest that challenges students, ages 10 to 19, to use the Internet as a collaborative, interactive teaching and learning tool". Get the contest details here. Get your kids involved!
Extra Link 6: FreeDSL - free high-speed Internet access; if you sign up please use my email address for being referred - "email@example.com" - Thanks!
Extra Link 7: FreeWebspace - interested in a Web site for no money? Check out this searchable index of 443 free Web space providers.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 15+ years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.