Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday - April 1, 2013
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
Next show is Monday - May 6, 2013
- iphonelife.com - news, apps, tips, best sites, online magazine for idevices.
- Danike.com - by Michael Guren (Doctor of Pharmacy); "PocketPharmacist" to help you with drug interactions - install on "i" devices and Android devices too. "PocketPharmacist" was ranked as the #1 paid Medical app (iPhone and iPad) during 2011 and 2012.
- Emulator-Zone.com [since 1997] - if you are into video game systems then you should know about this resource; covers all the gaming systems.
- ChillingEffects.org - monitors the legal climate for Internet activity; maintained by the "University of San Francisco School of Law". Their "Copyright" topic area includes discussions of traditional copyright, fair use, reverse engineering, and the new additions to copyright of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Under DMCA, they discuss the ISP safe harbor and its conditions (notice and takedown), and the anticircumvention provisions of section 1201.
- TexTem.net - a resource that you can use to send and receive free text messages.
- YonToo.com [since 2006] - they claim to have created a tool that allow users to maximize their internet experience. "Yontoo is a browser add-on that horizontally crosses the Internet rather than the standard vertical Website archive".
- MyAmortizationChart.com - all sorts of online mortgage calculators to help you.
- MergerNetwork.com - we have over 15,000 active business for sale listings.
- HTML5BoilerPlate.com - helps you build fast, robust, and adaptable web apps or sites. Kick-start your project with the combined knowledge and effort of 100s of developers, all in one little package.
- TwitPic.com - share your photos and videos as they happen; also visit "SnapChat".
- PointOfReturn.com - non-profit, public benefit organization that was established to help individuals who seek their freedom from a dependence to sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication and antidepressants.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- ManualOwl.com - search for free PDF versions of owners manuals or instructions for a wide-variety of products.
- Unroll.me - they state "a free and easy way to end unwanted subscriptions and rollup the rest into an organized overview".
- zvents.com - discover things to do; helps more than 10 million monthly users find things to do in their local area, and helps thousands of event advertisers increase attendance at their events
- Sharethis.com - puts sharing to work for you. Try using their innovative social media and sharing platform for the Web.
- LivingSocial.com - take advantage of a free membership to a variety of deal offers on eating out and many other items. Competes with "Groupon.com" - so join both and live it up or look for other offers too with "lcoffers".
- DiamondPriceGuru.com - a really cool Web-tool (resource) for searching (shopping) for diamond products based on "Shape - Price - Carat - Cut - Color - Clarity". Try in by making your choices dragging the shaped-line-markers; then it tells you have choices that it found.
- RXWiki.com - find medications, conditions and news. RxWiki, Inc. is a media company that publishes medication content, deploys eHealth applications and powers digital Medication Therapy Management (dMTM™) services. RxWiki enables pharmacies and pharmacists to reach and engage patients with actionable news and medication information through a number of media distribution outlets and digital devices.
- StatsCrop.com - free advanced website analyzer. Simple to use, just type the domain name. It says Infostar.com is 17-years old! And, it is!
- RightSignature.com - free trial for their service; documents filled out and signed online - then email them with your secured signature.
- PharmaciesReview.com - a resource to help you find reputable online pharmacies.
- ManageEliteTraining.com - claim to help provide you with a more effective way to train more people in less time; ManageElite provides real-world Management online training to help you improve organizational performance and stay in compliance.
As discussed on a previous show - I have listed resources to help you search for access to public information, and, information that may be purchased.
Note: I have no affiliation or am I making any endorsement for use of these resources; just pointing out examples to access this kind of information on the Internet and World Wide Web. I tried to group the resources together as best as possible.
Keep in mind that even though you may sign-up to be a member of a Web site - that some of your information, such as a "user name" for your membership may be accessible outside of that resource by search engines such as Google.com (this also includes images). So you may want to change your use of your "user name" across multiple sites; similar to changing your use of the same passwords to protect yourself. Or it is a question to ask yourself - how visible or invisible do I want to be online? If you associate your name (even a nickname or alias and someone knows it) with a face then you are visible.
A way to save money - sign-up for a trial account that may give you "a 7-day window to use the service" if you pay the annual fee; however, make sure you note the cancellation date or you may end-up paying for the entire year!
Google.com [make sure you check out their "Other Products Page"] , Google's Image search, YouTube.com (part of Google), and Google's Plus (similar to Facebook); note Google makes money by selling advertising - they make this statement as related to Google Plus - "'Google may use my account information to personalize +1s on content and ads on non-Google web sites.'"
Yahoo.com and Bing.com two other search engines to work with that are also popular.
Facebook has become popular not only for individuals but business and organizations to use as a social media marketing tool to gain popularity.
LinkedIn - typically considered for business professional but also used by others.
MySpace - was more popular before Facebook but still used by individuals. Another social connectivity resource like facebook.
Twitter - a social networking tool - find out what’s happening, right now, with the people and organizations you are interested in (if they tweet !!!).
Manta.com - business community where you can find out more detailed information on a business and its contacts.
Bizapedia.com - provides free online company search and people search tools.
CorporationWiki.com - information on 37+ million Companies and 35+ million executive.
Netprospex.com - helps Business-to-Business companies discover and connect with millions of targeted sales prospects. Find verified contact information, including email, phone, and social media.
LookUpAnyone.com and PublicRecords.com - comprehensive people search resources to use; costs/fees to access (I have no experience with them).
pipl.com - search engine that claims to be the "most comprehensive people search on the Web"; dive into the deep Web to bring you results you won't find in any other search engine then we use a powerful identity resolution engine to link those seemingly disparate results into a set of meaningful profiles so you can easily find the person you are looking for.
Radaris - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
Spoke.com - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
SocialDiligence.com - a social media search tool.
Ancestry.com - looking for close relatives, family tree, divorce, marriage, birth, death records?
Archives.com - claims to have an extensive database of images, newspapers, vital records, and more for your ancestors' historical records.
Areaconnect.com - a resource that has access to local Yellow Pages, White Pages, search, directories, news, weather and more.
411.info - looking for phone numbers, addresses, reverse look-ups?
Netronline.com- gain entrance to those official state Web resources that provide online access to property tax and related information. Check out the State of Wisconsin info and local Dane County examples below.
Wisconsin and local resources examples:
Access to the Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP) from the Wisconsin Court System - commonly referred to as "CCAP"; and City of Madison Property Taxes
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 23 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Judith Siers-Poison, and, hosted by Larry Meiller.