Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday February 4, 2013
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
Next show is Monday - March 4, 2013
- TimeValue.com - a software company that develops software solutions to serve the needs of tax, legal, leasing, banking, and other financial professionals. Explore their Website to find useful solutions for your problem solving needs that may be for free.
- SNpros.com - provides a Twitter-account appraisal service to the public. Enter the username of a Twitter account, and we'll let you know the fair market value of that account.
- WalkScore.com - a resource that helps you find a walkable place to live. Walk Score is a number between 0 and 100 that measures the walkability of any address. They state that "The Science of Good Living" includes: (1) people in walkable neighborhoods weigh 6-10 lbs less, (2) walkable places make you happier and healthier, (3) short commutes reduce stress and increase community involvement and more.
- Shoutlet.com - is a comprehensive community management and moderation platform for Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. It is a cloud-based social marketing platform to engage, promote, and analyze your social communication. It is fee-based, not sure of cost but you can request a demo.
- Votigo.com - [Founded in 2006] - another social marketing platform that appears to be well setup - you can create a free account for their "Standard DIY Apps" to try their services; their technology allows brands, agencies, and enterprises to acquire, engage, and manage their customers through our full social marketing suite that includes promotions, publisher, community management, applications, social CRM, and analytics.
- TravelChannel.com - not only on TV but full-featured Website with show archives, videos, destinations, sweepstakes and lots more. Destinations posted on their Website include an vverview, photos, video, reference articles & guides, where to stay, and things to do.
- TheHealthyHomeEconomist.com - a very interesting Web blog originally dedicated to teaching her children about what "Sarah" has learned about health and wellness - useful info passed on to them and others by this blog.
- Aereo.com - recently in the news because a court ruling [copyright infringement ruling was found to be not valid] allowed them to proceed with their Internet service - which is to watch live broadcast television online. Supposedly coming soon to the Madison, WI area.
- Houzz.com [a free 5-star App for the iPad/iPhone as rated by nearly 5,000 reviewers] - create an Ideabook for your next remodeling project; browse 1,000,000+ photos from top designers and save your favorites. If you are remodeling your house you will really enjoy using this!
- GoodRx.com - compare drug prices at 70,000+ pharmacies, and discover free coupons and savings tips.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- Windowstalk.org - a Windows resource posted by a Microsoft MVP (held since 2003); access to the best Windows® and PC resources available.
- Mobilitysite.com - a resource covering smartphones (including product reviews), mobile devices and this particular computer industry segment.
- AppsFuze.com - a resource that covers Windows smartphones applications; top 100 apps and more.
- KillerStartups.com - [internet startups community] a resource where internet entrepreneurs submit their startup to see what others think about it.
- UserScripts.org - a resource for providing access to 1,000's of free scripts that enhance the sites you already use. Worth visiting just to know what some of the scripts can do for you.
- ShoeDazzle.com - an eCommerce Website that just focuses on "new" women's shoes; if you have an online store or marketplace this is worth visiting to see how they market to their customers.
- FloorsToYourHome.com - another eCommerce Website that specializes in replacement floring such as hardwood or laminate products, vinyl, carpeting and more. Make sure you do your research about the product you are interested in using.
- WikiPhoneDirectory.com - a resource that provides access to a free reverse phone number lookup directory.
- Waze.com - a growing community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute.
- Codango.com - Web development reviews and resources (10434+ user reviews for 34288+ resources).
As discussed on a previous show - I have listed resources to help you search for access to public information, and, information that may be purchased.
Note: I have no affiliation or am I making any endorsement for use of these resources; just pointing out examples to access this kind of information on the Internet and World Wide Web. I tried to group the resources together as best as possible.
Keep in mind that even though you may sign-up to be a member of a Web site - that some of your information, such as a "user name" for your membership may be accessible outside of that resource by search engines such as Google.com (this also includes images). So you may want to change your use of your "user name" across multiple sites; similar to changing your use of the same passwords to protect yourself. Or it is a question to ask yourself - how visible or invisible do I want to be online? If you associate your name (even a nickname or alias and someone knows it) with a face then you are visible.
A way to save money - sign-up for a trial account that may give you "a 7-day window to use the service" if you pay the annual fee; however, make sure you note the cancellation date or you may end-up paying for the entire year!
Google.com [make sure you check out their "Other Products Page"] , Google's Image search, YouTube.com (part of Google), and Google's Plus (similar to Facebook); note Google makes money by selling advertising - they make this statement as related to Google Plus - "'Google may use my account information to personalize +1s on content and ads on non-Google web sites.'"
Yahoo.com and Bing.com two other search engines to work with that are also popular.
Facebook has become popular not only for individuals but business and organizations to use as a social media marketing tool to gain popularity.
LinkedIn - typically considered for business professional but also used by others.
MySpace - was more popular before Facebook but still used by individuals. Another social connectivity resource like facebook.
Twitter - a social networking tool - find out what’s happening, right now, with the people and organizations you are interested in (if they tweet !!!).
Manta.com - business community where you can find out more detailed information on a business and its contacts.
Bizapedia.com - provides free online company search and people search tools.
CorporationWiki.com - information on 37+ million Companies and 35+ million executive.
Netprospex.com - helps Business-to-Business companies discover and connect with millions of targeted sales prospects. Find verified contact information, including email, phone, and social media.
LookUpAnyone.com and PublicRecords.com - comprehensive people search resources to use; costs/fees to access (I have no experience with them).
pipl.com - search engine that claims to be the "most comprehensive people search on the Web"; dive into the deep Web to bring you results you won't find in any other search engine then we use a powerful identity resolution engine to link those seemingly disparate results into a set of meaningful profiles so you can easily find the person you are looking for.
Radaris - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
Spoke.com - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
SocialDiligence.com - a social media search tool.
Ancestry.com - looking for close relatives, family tree, divorce, marriage, birth, death records?
Archives.com - claims to have an extensive database of images, newspapers, vital records, and more for your ancestors' historical records.
Areaconnect.com - a resource that has access to local Yellow Pages, White Pages, search, directories, news, weather and more.
411.info - looking for phone numbers, addresses, reverse look-ups?
Netronline.com- gain entrance to those official state Web resources that provide online access to property tax and related information. Check out the State of Wisconsin info and local Dane County examples below.
Wisconsin and local resources examples:
Access to the Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP) from the Wisconsin Court System - commonly referred to as "CCAP"; and City of Madison Property Taxes
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 23 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Judith Siers-Poison, and, hosted by Larry Meiller.