Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday 12/3/2012
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
Next show is Monday - January 7, 2013
- Healthgrades.com - a health resource to assist you finding a doctor, dentist or hospital.
- TalkAboutMarriage.com - marriage and relationship advice with help forums.
- Pod2g.com - a resource that covers technology news, iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Apple TV jailbreaking news and tutorials.
- WeRockYourWeb.com - one-stop shop for anything related to websites (in particular, CMS or Content Management Systems), selling stuff online (E-Commerce), SEO (Search Engine Optimization), mobile apps, and you with tutorials, how to's, and unbiased reviews.
- uknowkids.com - a resource that does all the work of gathering and analyzing online and mobile activities including Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and cell-phones. Other resources and a good article to read [NY Times June 2012] "Big Brother, No It's Parents" and also visit: "MinorMonitor" and "National Center for Missing and Exploited Children".
- ScienceDaily.com - latest research news; here's an article on how "outdoor ice is changing outdoor ice hockey in Canada [Ice Hockey Feels the Heat in Canada]".
- CreativeCommons.org - is a nonprofit organization that enables the sharing and use of creativity and knowledge through free legal tools.
- PRWeb.com - the highest-rated SEO press release service; PRWeb gets your news straight to the search engines that everyone uses, like Google, Yahoo and Bing - which means that people will find your business more easily.
- HealthyPet.com [by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)] was established in 1933] - an international association of 42,000+ veterinary care providers who treat companion animals. AAHA is well known among veterinarians and pet owners for its standards for hospitals and pet health care. Approximately 3,200 veterinary hospitals voluntarily participate in the AAHA hospital evaluation program.
- AppAdvice.com - this resource filter through the 500,000+ apps in the App Store to bring you up to date on relevant news regarding apps, as well as providing detailed app reviews.
- PrivateSchoolReview.com - a resource to learn about private schools, find schools, get admissions tips and financial aid help.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- DrugAbuse.gov [by the National Iinstitutes of Health] - very comprehensive and useful government resource about the science of drug addiction. Lots to explore and learn about.
- Linoit.com - collaborate online with this free colorful, sticky canvas service that uses just a Web browser (useful classroom tool).
- ProFootballWeekly.com - [started in 1967] Pro Football Weekly has some of the best coverage of the National Football League (NFL).
- OnGuardOnline.gov - the federal government's resource to help inform you as to how to be safe, secure and responsible online. The Federal Trade Commission manages OnGuardOnline.gov, in partnership with other federal agencies; this resource is a partner in the "Stop - Think - Connect" campaign, led by the Department of Homeland Security, and part of the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education, led by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Tradepub.com - apply to access for free - trade magazine subscriptions & technical document downloads. Browse through their extensive list of free business, computer, engineering and trade magazines, white papers, downloads and eBooks to find the titles that best match your skills; topics include management, marketing, operations, sales, and technology. For example: "New eBook: How to Master Facebook Marketing in 10 Days".
- Hostzilla.net - free Website hosting (100MB of space) plus more if needed but at cost.
- Knoji.com - goal is to become a resource where consumers can research companies before making a purchase.
- Tingo.com [TripAdvisor Company] - claims to be the only Website that automatically rebooks you at the lower rate if your hotel drops its price—and then automatically refunds the difference to your credit card. All without you doing anything.
- AutomotiveAddicts.com [since 2005] - created for auto enthusiasts of all types. It is an online publication of automotive industry that includes news, data, Weblogs and related material.
- (secure https) healthtap.com - a very useful healthcare/medical resource to help you find answers to your health-medical questions from 16,000 U.S.-licensed physicians. Perform a search and see how you are guided to find answer(s)! Free app available for iPhone (maybe other smartphones too - just have to check).
As discussed on a previous show - I have listed resources to help you search for access to public information, and, information that may be purchased.
Note: I have no affiliation or am I making any endorsement for use of these resources; just pointing out examples to access this kind of information on the Internet and World Wide Web. I tried to group the resources together as best as possible.
Keep in mind that even though you may sign-up to be a member of a Web site - that some of your information, such as a "user name" for your membership may be accessible outside of that resource by search engines such as Google.com (this also includes images). So you may want to change your use of your "user name" across multiple sites; similar to changing your use of the same passwords to protect yourself. Or it is a question to ask yourself - how visible or invisible do I want to be online? If you associate your name (even a nickname or alias and someone knows it) with a face then you are visible.
A way to save money - sign-up for a trial account that may give you "a 7-day window to use the service" if you pay the annual fee; however, make sure you note the cancellation date or you may end-up paying for the entire year!
Google.com [make sure you check out their "Other Products Page"] , Google's Image search, YouTube.com (part of Google), and Google's Plus (similar to Facebook); note Google makes money by selling advertising - they make this statement as related to Google Plus - "'Google may use my account information to personalize +1s on content and ads on non-Google web sites.'"
Yahoo.com and Bing.com two other search engines to work with that are also popular.
Facebook has become popular not only for individuals but business and organizations to use as a social media marketing tool to gain popularity.
LinkedIn - typically considered for business professional but also used by others.
MySpace - was more popular before Facebook but still used by individuals. Another social connectivity resource like facebook.
Twitter - a social networking tool - find out what’s happening, right now, with the people and organizations you are interested in (if they tweet !!!).
Manta.com - business community where you can find out more detailed information on a business and its contacts.
Bizapedia.com - provides free online company search and people search tools.
CorporationWiki.com - information on 37+ million Companies and 35+ million executive.
Netprospex.com - helps Business-to-Business companies discover and connect with millions of targeted sales prospects. Find verified contact information, including email, phone, and social media.
LookUpAnyone.com and PublicRecords.com - comprehensive people search resources to use; costs/fees to access (I have no experience with them).
pipl.com - search engine that claims to be the "most comprehensive people search on the Web"; dive into the deep Web to bring you results you won't find in any other search engine then we use a powerful identity resolution engine to link those seemingly disparate results into a set of meaningful profiles so you can easily find the person you are looking for.
Radaris - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
Spoke.com - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
SocialDiligence.com - a social media search tool.
Ancestry.com - looking for close relatives, family tree, divorce, marriage, birth, death records?
Archives.com - claims to have an extensive database of images, newspapers, vital records, and more for your ancestors' historical records.
Areaconnect.com - a resource that has access to local Yellow Pages, White Pages, search, directories, news, weather and more.
411.info - looking for phone numbers, addresses, reverse look-ups?
Netronline.com- gain entrance to those official state Web resources that provide online access to property tax and related information. Check out the State of Wisconsin info and local Dane County examples below.
Wisconsin and local resources examples:
Access to the Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP) from the Wisconsin Court System - commonly referred to as "CCAP"; and City of Madison Property Taxes
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 23 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Judith Siers-Poison, and, hosted by Larry Meiller.