Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Thursday 9/6/2012
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
Next show is Monday - October 1, 2012
- HometownLocator.com - for the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C.. Includes Profiles for 179,000 cities, towns, neighborhoods and subdivisions; Maps, data and directions for 1.8 million physical, cultural and historical features.
- EliteProspects.com - up and coming ice hockey prospects. Hard to say if we will have another "NHL" lookout?
- Netronline.com - gain entrance to those official state Web resources that provide online access to property tax and related information.
- SeatGeek.com - resource for all sports, concert, and theater tickets on one comprehensive site.
- Healthline.com - search over 1,300 conditions, 1,500 symptoms, and 20,000 treatments & medications.
- Radaris.com - another comprehensive people search resource.
- ZocDoc.com - resource that includes reviews and ratings, to help you find a doctor; for major cities and growing.
- Vayama.com - international travel site; see also Venere.com and ebookers.com.
- JumboJimbo.com - a song lyric resource to check out.
- SportsSpyder.com - another resource to help you follow sports information online; maybe useful for fantasy sports players.
As discussed on the show - I have listed resources to help you search for access to public information, and, information that may be purchased.
Note: I have no affiliation or am I making any endorsement for use of these resources; just pointing out examples to access this kind of information on the Internet and World Wide Web. I tried to group the resources together as best as possible.
Keep in mind that even though you may sign-up to be a member of a Web site - that some of your information, such as a "user name" for your membership may be accessible outside of that resource by search engines such as Google.com (this also includes images). So you may want to change your use of your "user name" across multiple sites; similar to changing your use of the same passwords to protect yourself. Or it is a question to ask yourself - how visible or invisible do I want to be online? If you associate your name (even a nickname or alias and someone knows it) with a face then you are visible.
A way to save money - sign-up for a trial account that may give you "a 7-day window to use the service" if you pay the annual fee; however, make sure you note the cancellation date or you may end-up paying for the entire year!
Google.com [make sure you check out their "Other Products Page"] , Google's Image search, YouTube.com (part of Google), and Google's Plus (similar to Facebook); note Google makes money by selling advertising - they make this statement as related to Google Plus - "'Google may use my account information to personalize +1s on content and ads on non-Google web sites.'"
Yahoo.com and Bing.com two other search engines to work with that are also popular.
Facebook has become popular not only for individuals but business and organizations to use as a social media marketing tool to gain popularity.
LinkedIn - typically considered for business professional but also used by others.
MySpace - was more popular before Facebook but still used by individuals. Another social connectivity resource like facebook.
Twitter - a social networking tool - find out what’s happening, right now, with the people and organizations you are interested in (if they tweet !!!).
Manta.com - business community where you can find out more detailed information on a business and its contacts.
Bizapedia.com - provides free online company search and people search tools.
CorporationWiki.com - information on 37+ million Companies and 35+ million executive.
Netprospex.com - helps Business-to-Business companies discover and connect with millions of targeted sales prospects. Find verified contact information, including email, phone, and social media.
LookUpAnyone.com and PublicRecords.com - comprehensive people search resources to use; costs/fees to access (I have no experience with them).
pipl.com - search engine that claims to be the "most comprehensive people search on the Web"; dive into the deep Web to bring you results you won't find in any other search engine then we use a powerful identity resolution engine to link those seemingly disparate results into a set of meaningful profiles so you can easily find the person you are looking for.
Radaris - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
Spoke.com - another comprehensive people search resource to use.
SocialDiligence.com - a social media search tool.
Ancestry.com - looking for close relatives, family tree, divorce, marriage, birth, death records?
Archives.com - claims to have an extensive database of images, newspapers, vital records, and more for your ancestors' historical records.
Areaconnect.com - a resource that has access to local Yellow Pages, White Pages, search, directories, news, weather and more.
411.info - looking for phone numbers, addresses, reverse look-ups?
Netronline.com- gain entrance to those official state Web resources that provide online access to property tax and related information. Check out the State of Wisconsin info and local Dane County examples below.
Wisconsin and local resources examples:
Access to the Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP) from the Wisconsin Court System - commonly referred to as "CCAP"; and City of Madison Property Taxes
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- Bizapedia.com - provides FREE online company search and people search tools. See also: pipl.com
- Archives.com - claims to have an extensive database of images, newspapers, vital records, and more for your ancestors' historical records.
- iphonehacks.com - news, forums and information about Apple's "i" products..
- close-upfilm.com - resource for people who are passionate about films and movies.
- corporationwiki.com - claims to provide information on 37,180,740 Companies, 35,675,478 Executives.
- Silobreaker.com - an internet and technology company who offers products and services that aggregate, analyze, contextualize and bring meaning to the constantly increasing amount of digital information.
- Stylebistro.com - a resource that covers fashion and style news.
- Areaconnect.com - a resource that has access to local Yellow Pages, White Pages, search, directories, news, weather and more.
- InternetAutoGuide.com - yet another car buying resource; appears to be well organized and information rich.
- TeamViewer.com - software for remote support and online meetings. See also: "LogMeIn".
- Windows 7 "God Mode Link" - easy access to changing your Windows 7 system setup.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 23 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Judith Siers-Poison, and, hosted by Larry Meiller.