Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday, 8/3/2009
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- Malwarebytes.org - [someone email this as a suggestion during last month's show - thank you] is a site dedicated to fighting malware. Malwarebytes has developed a variety of tools that can identify and remove malicious software from your computer.
- DougKnox.com - a Web site maintained by a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for tweaks and tips for Windows 95/98/Me/XP and Vista (and probably Windows 7 when it is released).
- TweetDeck.com - [in beta; also available as an iPhone app] is your personal browser for staying in touch with what’s happening now, connecting you with your contacts across Twitter, Facebook and more. TweetDeck shows you everything you want to see at once, so you can stay organizd and up to date.
- wikiHow.com - the "How-to Manual" that you can edit; a collaborative writing project to build the world's largest, highest quality how-to manual. WikiHow currently contains 58,577 articles written, edited, and maintained primarily by volunteers.
- 4sysops.com - a resource that helps people that support and whos focus is on Windows system administration; set-up by the main IT person for the university library at the largest university (46,000 students) in Munich, Germany.
- SlipperyBrick.com - a resource dedicated to the relentless search for all things technical as related to emerging consumer based technology and gadgets. Also visit "Engadget".
- TUAW.com - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) is a source for tips, reviews, news, analysis and opinion on everything Apple - since 2004.
- UNEASYsilence.com - goal is to deliver daily coverage of offbeat & generally geeky news.
- Infopirate.org - a Web site that says sharing bookmarks is a way to make money. Their claim is "You Share Your Bookmarks, We Share Our Revenue." They think that you should make money with your bookmarks, and not them. Register with them, add your AdsenseID and 80% of the revenue your bookmarks make is yours
- HowToDoThings.com - a resource that strives to solve people’s everyday problems by compiling reliable information from experienced contributors and making it available to inexperienced readers. A community sharing its expertise to solve people’s problems.
**** Instructions to fix MS Defender ---- >>>>
- "Follow the instructions detailed on the posts to this online forum" and should fix MS-Defender updating problem; make sure you do not cut and paste the > symbol or delete it from the wording in the batch file.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- Ballhype.com - sports news resource that includes video clips and blogs.
- MyAppBuilder.com - build your own iPhone applications and publish them in Apple's popular iTunes Store [cost is $29 per month].
- Blogatize.net - a Web blog network; a way to gain exposure with blogging. An example is "PhoneArea".
- AbsoluteAstronomy.com - information portal which provides reference information and interactive features for over 900,000 topics.
- TheiPhoneBlog.com - a resource that follows the Apple iPhone - includes news, rumors, articles, podcasts and a "forum".
- TheMortgageReports.com - a resource [Web blog] that keeps up on mortgage industry trends and tries to predict mortgage rate changes.
- Mint.com - a resource to help with money management, budget and financial planning - free iPhone app is popular.
- Autopedia.com [AUTOmotive encycloPEDIA] - is a free comprehensive automotive Internet resource to try and find information related to autos, boats, trucks, minivans, motorcycles, RVs, SUVs and the Lemon Law.
- My3Cents.com - a consumer advice resource where you can also voice opinions regarding companies, products and services.
- ZipcodeZoo.com - a resource that brings the natural world to armchair, amateur, and professional naturalists. Their focus is Applied Biogeography: understanding plants and animals in their place, perhaps even your backyard. Resource includes a "Proximity Lister" and a "Region Lister" will help you find plants or animals in a geographic area of interest. Check-out their "PlantFinder" database [currently includes 1,555,827 attributes for 209,411 of the 1,073,974 plants on the site], "BirdFinder" [database currently includes 102,204 attributes for 4,753 of the 46,400 birds on the site] and "ButterflyFinder" [database currently includes lookup info and photos for only 2,308 different butterflies, skippers, and moths of the 271,314 on the site].
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for 23 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.