Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday, 11/5/2007
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- CommunityWalk.com - create personal and community maps; add photos, videos, comments and more. [These are all useful resources for when you travel or are new to an area.] Also visit: "HopStop" and "WalkScore".
- GalaxyZoo.org - project which harnesses the power of the internet - and your brain - to classify a million galaxies. By taking part, you'll not only be contributing to scientific research, but you'll view parts of the Universe that literally no-one has ever seen before and get a sense of the glorious diversity of galaxies that pepper the sky.
- SGisland.org - South Georgia Island near AntArctica [coolantarctica.com]; considered an oasis in the South Atlantic Ocean it is part of the Falkland Islands. Check out their Web cam that allows you to look out for seals and penguins walking across the beach, ever changing weather and for harbour activity.
- ThinkFree.com - free online alternative to Microsoft Office with 1GB of online storage. Also visit: "Zoho.com" and "Google Doc's".
- BuzzWhack.com - an online dictionary for de-mystifying buzzwords.
- WhatBird.com - search for birds with this resource of over 900 birds of North America; includes sounds and videos. [You can create your own field guide].
- AllAmericanFootballLeague.com - a new start-up 6 team pro football league that starts play in April of 2008; the League charter allows only those players who have both earned a 4-year degree and completed their college football eligibility to suit up and play in the league.
- EyeWitnessToHistory.com - experience history from the ancient world to the present. Experience history through the eyes of those who lived it. Web site has extensive use of video and audio clips.
- NewspaperArchive.com - search for archived newspaper articles online from among 73.6 Million Pages, 697 Cities, 239 Years, 2,800+ titles [access to rare newspapers dating back to 1759].
- FedSpending.org - a free, searchable database of federal government spending.
- TikkTikk.com - a free Web application that helps you to not be late for appointments; integrates with email, calendar, Facebook and others.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- Schoolmatters.com - a resource for educators and policy makers; contains detailed information about schools and school districts throughout the country.
- Instructables.com - step by step instructions on a wide variety of neat projects.
- Wildflower.org [by the Univ. of Texas @ Austin] - Lady Bird Johnson who passed away this year loved wildflowers. This detailed and searchable resource is great for wildflower lovers.
- 1up.com - a videogamers Web resource for gaming cheats, previews and reviews. With Halo 3 being released for the XBox360 - this site has lots of details about it.
- TheInsideGroove.com - a resource for NASCAR. Includes Nascar racing news, team & driver info, standings and lots more.
- TheHockeyNews.com - The NHL hockey season started this past weekend in London; this week 10-3 it starts in North America. Keep up on everything about hockey with this great Web resource.
- BaseballProspectus.com - Major League Baseball (MLB) playoffs start this week. If you want statistics - then make sure you visit their statistics link!. This baseball resource covers news, events, fantasy and more.
- Laptop.org "One Laptop Per Child" - It's an education project, not a laptop project. --> Nicholas Negroponte. Their goal is to provide children around the world with new opportunities to explore, experiment and express themselves.
- LaptopGiving.org your opportunity to give begins now! Between November 12 and November 26 - so click on this link. If you signed-up earlier then you got this link via email.
- xogiving.org - this is Laptop.org's sign-up Web site ----> starting Nov. 12, 2007 - "One Laptop Per Child" will be offering a Give 1 Get 1 Program for a brief window of time. For $399, you will be purchasing two XO laptops --- one that will be sent to empower a child to learn in a developing nation, and one that will be sent to your child at home.
- Wunderground.com - access to a weather resource that has lots of data. Very easy to navigate - you just have to decide what you want to know more about with regards to weather and climate conditions in your area or somewhere else!
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for nearly 18 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.