Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday, 3/5/2007
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- BusinessWire.com - a top source for breaking news releases, multimedia coverage and regulatory filings for companies and groups throughout the world. Also visit "Reuters", "Forbes", "BusinessWeek", "Hoovers", "MarketWatch", and "CNBC".
- Free-AV.com - [Avira Free Anti-Virus download] Free virus protection for Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP and for Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris.
- AAA.com - their TripTik® Travel Planner is now available online for free [used to be paid members only]; allows you to: find detour & construction info, check gas pricing (updated daily), e-mail maps to PCs and portable devices, locate hotels, restaurants, attractions, auto repair facilities, and plan a trip with up to 12 destinations.
- BitTorrent.com - just re-launched to provide a better digital entertainment experience [download music, videos, movies, games and more] for the community of over 135 million users who use their "P2P software". Also visit "Azureus" and "TorrentReactor".
- HomeLink.org international home exchange organization established in 1953; 12,000+ home swappers drawn from 69 countries. Also visit "HomeExchange".
- Blinkx.com - an Internet search engine specializing in video content. Also visit "YouTube".
- SeeWindowsVista.com - official multimedia presentation Web site that details features about their new Vista Operating System; also visit their "product development resource".
- FuelEconomy.gov - new revised [lowered] fuel economy ratings for cars. Check out their new listings - "2008 Fuel Economy Tests".
- Fibre2Fashion.com - an online Business-to-Business marketplace for the apparel and fashion industry.
- GolfLink.com - a golf resource that includes access to a directory of golf courses & resorts, schools, real estate, gold tips and more; also visit: "All-Golf-Links".
- Fairmark.com - a resource to help you find answers to tax filing questions.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- "'Storm' Worm Continues Surge Around Globe" - just be aware and warned that this was announced 1-22-2007.
- Windows Vista - Microsoft's Web resource to launch [released 2/2007] and support their new OS (Operating System). If you are considering Vista as an upgrade you should visit this "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" and make sure your software will work.
- FamilyWatchdog.us - a national sex offender database system.
- nettvbroadcasts.com - download their software and view 2500+ Channels from all over the world for free using your Internet connection. Also visit "Streamick" and "SlingMedia".
- ggreport.com - GGReport's purpose is to provide a convenient source of ideas, information, and insight about Google specifically for the government professional.
- Outside.in - [tracking 56 cities and 3201 neighborhoods]; a new resource to help share information online about where you live - your neighborhood - your community. Consider that online info is scattered among blogs, online papers, forums or discussion sites and government resources.
- TreeHugger.com - Web magazine dedicated to everything that has a modern aesthetics yet is environmentally responsible. Visit their suggestions on how to "Go Green" and be environmentally safe.
- DSIREusa.org - DSIRE is a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility, and federal incentives that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency. Click on your state on the map; here is "Wisconsin's information".
- PhoneScoop.com - a cell phone resource that posts cellphone carrier information, cell phone specifications and product reviews by users.
- aumha.org - [an independent Windows Support Center]; here is their "site map".
- Wisconsun.org - a resource to learn about Wisconsin's solar energy initiative, solar energy systems, connecting to the grid, case studies, and educational events. Also visit "FocusOnEnergy".
- NREL.gov National Renewable Energy Laboratory [Federal Governemtn Web resource]; U.S. Department of Energy's effort to secure an energy future for the nation that is environmentally and economically sustainable. Also visit: "Consumer's Guide: Get Your Power from the Sun", "25x25", and "EERE - by the Dept. of Energy".
- DeadComputers.com - a resource to help you find answers to the Alternative Minimum Tax that continues to affect more and more people each year - learn how to plan ahead to avoid it [article: "Preparation Softens Blow of Alternative Minimum Tax].
- AuctionCloud.com - shows popular keywords used by eBay users when searching listings.
- MFFAIS.com - Mutual Fund Facts About Individual Stocks. May be a useful investment resource to check-out.
- (*)Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware |Defender" - here is the link to download Microsoft's Defender AntiSpyware software; it is well worth checking out.
- (*)2 books on Google - "Google Hacks" and the new "Google Pocket Guide". Also visit Peter's new "Book Page".
- (***)Here is the "E-mail Anti-SPAM Encoder by Hiveware" to use if you post your email address to Web pages.
- (***)Here is the way to "eliminate the Windows Logon Screen". Remember to be careful when editing any system files; make sure you review the numerous resources I've posted about the Windows Registry that can be found on my "Tips" and "Techlinks" pages. And if you need access to your Windows system [like you forgot your administrative password] and are having trouble - then the "EBCD Utility [Free]" may be able to help.
- (***)US-CERT warns against using Internet Explorer - issued 6-29-2004 - U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser. If you are concerned an alternative may be Mozilla's next generation Web browser called "FireFox" and visit the "InfoStar Virus Info Center" Web page and look for Web browsers.
- (***)List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 [SP 2] - access Microsoft's information on what they have tried to fix in Windows XP. Here's an article on the fact that a "SP 2 exploit has already been found".
- (***)End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me [July 11, 2006] - as recently announced by Microsoft.
- (***) [Now Tip #38 @ "InfoStar.com's Tip" page] Assistance with shutting off Windows Messenger Service to help eliminate unwanted solicitations: [Eliminating Windows Messenger Service by Jim Coates] - [Microsoft Messenger Service: Spam and More] - [Windows Messenger is new spam vector]
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for nearly 18 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.