Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Tuesday, 9/5/2006
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- BatchGeoCode.com - mapping multiple locations with your own custom data; use "GoogleEarth" [download this neat application!] .
- HybridCars.com - news, blogs, forums, FAQ's, calculators, mileage ratings, Plugin cars, and more. Also visit "Hymotion", "100-mpg car", "eDriveSystems" and this article on "EDrive."
- E85Fuel.com - [by the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition] a resource about E85, an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy, is a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline.
- USGovernetics.com - a resource that helps explain how the U.S. Government works.
- HomeTips.com - a resource that offers help with home improvement, remodeling, repair projects, decorating, tips for buying appliances and more. Also see "HousingZone".
- DownloadZipCode.com - a Zip Code lookup resource; in 1983 Zip+4 was introduced to accurately pinpoint a delivery location.
- PCPer.com [PC Perspective] a resource for PC hardware reviews and information. Also visit "Ars Technica".
- AOAForums.com - [Alliance of Overclocking Arts] discussions, news, articles and more ---> on how to "overclock" [get more speed from] your system's CPU (Central Processing Unit - the computer's engine).
- FlamingoWorld.com - price comparison resource, coupons or discount codes and more. Also visit "Froogle" by Google.com
- YouTube.com - [popular] freelance videos on the Web that people post and get reviewed [some are funny, some are serious].
- eFilmCritic.com - a movie review resource from Australia.
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- IDTheftCenter.org - resource to help you prevent and recover from identity theft .
- EdRef.com - a free resource with info on 1,000's of US colleges and universities; also visit CollegeData.com.
- iMakeNews - a Web based communications and marketing service to improve customer relations; free 15-day trial.
- UltimateBootCD.com - a free download of very useful troubleshooting utilties for Windows users.
- Koders.com - a source code search engine for programmers - 225,000,000+ lines of code.
- FindAnISP.com - an online database to search for an ISP in your area; also checkout TheList.com.
- HousingZone.com a resource for the builder or remodeler.
- CareerJet.com - search engine for jobs.
- (*)Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware ([XP] Beta) - here is the link to download Microsoft's new AntiSpyware software; it is well worth checking out.
- (*)2 books on Google - "Google Hacks" and the new "Google Pocket Guide". Also visit Peter's new "Book Page".
- (***)Here is the "E-mail Anti-SPAM Encoder by Hiveware" to use if you post your email address to Web pages.
- (***)Here is the way to "eliminate the Windows Logon Screen". Remember to be careful when editing any system files; make sure you review the numerous resources I've posted about the Windows Registry that can be found on my "Tips" and "Techlinks" pages. And if you need access to your Windows system [like you forgot your administrative password] and are having trouble - then the "EBCD Utility [Free]" may be able to help.
- (***)US-CERT warns against using Internet Explorer - issued 6-29-2004 - U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser. If you are concerned an alternative may be Mozilla's next generation Web browser called "FireFox" and visit the "InfoStar Virus Info Center" Web page and look for Web browsers.
- (***)List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 [SP 2] - access Microsoft's information on what they have tried to fix in Windows XP. Here's an article on the fact that a "SP 2 exploit has already been found".
- (***)End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me [July 11, 2006] - as recently announced by Microsoft.
- (***) [Now Tip #38 @ "InfoStar.com's Tip" page] Assistance with shutting off Windows Messenger Service to help eliminate unwanted solicitations: [Eliminating Windows Messenger Service by Jim Coates] - [Microsoft Messenger Service: Spam and More] - [Windows Messenger is new spam vector]
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for nearly 18 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.