Please support our sponsors.
Peter Greene's Top 10+ as announced on Monday, 2/6/2006
This list is for providing you with easy access to these "useful" Web pages. Please visit my NEW "Tips and Favorite Applications" Page, WEBHITZ® for access to our Web menus!
Use of the products and services offered on any of these Web pages is at your own risk! E-Mail me and give me your feedback at email@example.com. Due to the volume of email I get I cannot possibly reply to every message!
- Pluginz.com - a resource for digital artists featuring plugins and digital tools [software].
- Softpedia.com - a resource for free software downloads in a wide variety of operating systems and devices - Windows, Mac, Linux, etc....
- Timelyweb.com - a resource and product to assist you with "information hunting"; program will notify you about web resource change and will deliver the changed resource to your computer.
- GreenConsumerGuide.com - a resource to help you keep up with environmental issues, ethical and sustainable energy products and services.
- PublicSchoolReview.com - a resource to help you find free, detailed profiles of public schools and their surrounding communities.
- AreaGuides.net - search and browse information for 39,000+ domestic and international city guides for restaurants, hotels, real estate and more.
- BuildingAmerica.gov - [posted and maintained by the U.S. Department of Energy] - is a private/public partnership that develops energy solutions for new and existing homes.
- BluePrintForSafety.org - a resource for disaster-safety building techniques to help families become better prepared for floods, hurricanes, wildfires and windstorms.
- Rollyo.com - create your own personal Web search engine(s) using resources that you trust.
- WorldPrivacyForum.org - a resource that covers important topics for safe guarding your privacy.
- Assistance with shutting off Windows Messenger Service to help eliminate unwanted solicitations: [Eliminating Windows Messenger Service by Jim Coates] - [Microsoft Messenger Service: Spam and More] - [Windows Messenger is new spam vector]
*** Below are last month's choices ****
- (*)Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware ([XP] Beta) - here is the link to download Microsoft's new AntiSpyware software; it is well worth checking out.
- (*)2 books on Google - "Google Hacks" and the new "Google Pocket Guide". Also visit Peter's new "Book Page".
- (***)Here is the "E-mail Anti-SPAM Encoder by Hiveware" to use if you post your email address to Web pages.
- (***)Here is the way to "eliminate the Windows Logon Screen". Remember to be careful when editing any system files; make sure you review the numerous resources I've posted about the Windows Registry that can be found on my "Tips" and "Techlinks" pages. And if you need access to your Windows system [like you forgot your administrative password] and are having trouble - then the "EBCD Utility [Free]" may be able to help.
- (***)US-CERT warns against using Internet Explorer - issued 6-29-2004 - U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser. If you are concerned an alternative may be Mozilla's next generation Web browser called "FireFox" and visit the "InfoStar Virus Info Center" Web page and look for Web browsers.
- (***)List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 [SP 2] - access Microsoft's information on what they have tried to fix in Windows XP. Here's an article on the fact that a "SP 2 exploit has already been found".
- VlogMap.org - your new word for 2006 is Vlog = is a video weblog; VlogMap is a resource that maps the location of vlogs.
- Live.com - this is Windows "Live" [in beta testing]; an effort to put everything together in one online resource.
- GameOps.com - a resource about game operations and entertainment - for the people that manage to keep you entertained a arenas, rinks and stadiums.
- VideoHelp.com - a resource to help with making/producing VideoCD's, Video DVD's and more.
- LinuxGuruz.com - a resource to help you with the Linux Operating System and a lot more.
- HowToNetworking.com - [posted by a MVP - "Microsoft Most Valuable Professional"] a resource to help you setup a Network, Internet Sharing, remote access and more.
- GovernmentGuide.com - presented by AOL; a resource to make it easy to access governement services.
- Ps3Portal.com - for the upcoming Sony PlayStation 3 gaming system; and here is a similar portal for the "Xbox 360" and the "XBox 360 Activity Center".
- DotWhat.net - a resource to help with understanding what the [computer] file extensions mean; also visit: "FileInfo.net" and "Filext.com".
- GotVoice.com - a way to get your home and cell phone voice mail on the Web or in your email inbox.
Peter's schedule for appearing as a guest on Larry Meiller's show can seen by clicking here.
You can listen to Peter on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) - 970AM WHA Radio in Madison, WI
monthly! It is broadcast live over the WPR radio network from the 7th floor of Vilas Hall, and is "Web casted" live via Real Audio - you'll need the "Real Audio player". The show is 90 minutes in length and covers the latest in PC computer technology
, the Internet and the World Wide Web; show is a question & answer format. I have supported Wisconsin Public Radio for nearly 18 years with a monthly radio
show on computer technology. The show is produced by Jim Packard and hosted by Larry Meiller.